The Crossed-out Wheeled Bin symbol
Disclaimer: This document provides guidance and is not a legally binding interpretation and shall therefore not be relied upon as legal advice.
On the Battery
Default symbol on a battery
Battery directive 2006/66/EC
Battery with more than 0,0005 % mercury (Hg)
Battery with more than 0,002 % cadmium (Cd)
Battery with more than 0,004 % lead (Pb)
Required dimensions of the crossed-out wheeled bin symbol on a battery:
- The symbol shall cover at least 3 % of the area of the largest side of the battery up to a maximum size of 5 by 5 cm.
- In the case of cylindrical cells, the symbol shall cover at least 1,5 % of the surface area of the battery and shall have a maximum size of 5 by 5 cm.
- If the size of the battery is such that the symbol would be smaller than 0,5 by 0,5 cm then the battery need not be marked but a symbol measuring at least 1 by 1 cm shall be printed on the packaging.
- The symbol indicating the heavy metal content (Hg, Cd, Pb) shall be printed beneath the symbol and shall cover an area of at least one-quarter the size of that symbol.
* For more details on the dimensions refer to standard EN 61429 and to the international recycling symbol ISO 7000-1135.
* Check also the marking guidelines in the EN 60086-x series of standards for batteries.
On Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE)
According to WEEE directive 2012/19/EU
- The symbol shown in Annex IX of the WEEE directive 2012/19/EU - preferably according to EN 50419. There is a 2022 edition available of the standard.
- According to Article 15(2) of the WEEE Directive and Clause 4.1.2 of EN 50419:2002 at least one of the following two optionsshall be applied to indicate that the equipment is put on the market after 13 August 2005:
- (1) An additional mark being a black bar as shown in the figure above.
- (2) The date of manufacture / put on the market, in un-coded text in accordance with ISO 8601 or other coded text. The date may be a separate individual marking, and does not need to be placed close the crossed-out wheeled bin.
- The symbol shall have a minimum height of 7 mm (a = 3,33 mm). The black bar shall be at least 1 mm (0,3 a).